Let’s start with a couple of assumptions: First, like me, you care about clean water and want to see it protected. And secondly, you’ve supported Clean Water Action and/or Clean Water Fund by making a donation and/or taking some of our online actions in the past. Thank you!
Here’s why the actions you take now, as the New Year is getting underway, are so incredibly important:
- Did you know that for most nonprofits, Clean Water Action & Clean Water Fund included, January is the month that can help shape how successful our entire year will be?
- The gifts you make right now to help Protect Clean Water will give us the strength and grassroots momentum we’ll need to win big for our water in 2023 and beyond.
Here are our Top 10 Ways to Give
10. It’s not too early to make your first donation of 2023 (if you haven’t already done so), Why not do it now? You may have waited until later in 2022 to donate last year, but the sooner you give in 2023, the sooner we can put your gift to work Protecting Clean Water! Our Water Needs Us Now!
9. Tax-Deductible Giving. If you’re already supporting Clean Water Action, consider making a extra gift to Clean Water Fund to help jump-start our New Year and yours. Gifts to Clean Water Fund are tax-deductible*, and many of our supporters feel able to give more generously when they donate to Clean Water Fund.
8. Multiply Your Impact. Many businesses will match gifts made by their employees. But the donation has to be made payable to Clean Water Fund to qualify for the match. Matching gifts are a great way to double or triple the impact of your giving.
7. Make an Impactful Gift. Tap into the power of your IRA (Individual Retirement Account). Your financial advisor can help you arrange a Qualified Charitable Distribution to Clean Water Fund, which can allow you to be much more generous and provide significant tax benefits to you. Make a Grant from a Donor-Advised Fund (DAF) or foundation; this is not an option for everybody, but if it works for you, Clean Water Fund (tax ID 52-1043444) would welcome your support. Most foundations and DAFs require that your gift or grant be made payable to Clean Water Fund (501-c-3).
6. Clean Water Stock Gifts Rock! Despite recent market declines, many people with longer-term investments own equities (stock or mutual fund shares) that are worth far more today than they were even a few years ago. Selling those holdings to make a cash donation could result in capital gains taxes. But by making a stock gift instead, those capital gain taxes are avoided. Both Clean Water Action and Clean Water Fund can receive gifts of stock, and stock gifts to either can yield significant capital gains tax savings. Gifts of stock to Clean Water Fund have the added advantage of being tax-deductible, above and beyond any capital gains savings. The sooner you make your stock gift, the sooner you can realize the tax benefits for your 2023 tax year. Contact us for help arranging your gift, firstname.lastname@example.org
[BONUS TIP: Clean Water Fund can also receive cryptocurrency gifts, and such gifts can also offer significant tax benefits to the donor. Learn more or donate at cleanwater.org/crypto]
5. Donor-Advised Fund (DAF) and Foundation Grants. If you have a DAF or family foundation, now is the perfect time to support Clean Water Fund with a grant. Most foundations and DAFs require that your gift or grant be made payable to Clean Water Fund (501-c-3). Learn more here!
4. Round Up Your Change for Clean Water. Did you know that you can easily arrange to have your credit or debit card automatically “round up” and donate the change from your purchases? This is a great way to take charge of your donations and support Clean Water Action (vs causes selected for you by stores that ask you to donate at check-out). You can sign up here,
3. Have a Beer and a Meal for Clean Water. Guests at any of these restaurants (dine-in or take-out) can “round up” and donate to Clean Water Fund on every guest check, right there next to your tip: CityWorks (www.CityWorksRestaurant.com), Old Town Pour House (www.OldTownPourHouse.com), South Branch Tavern Grille (www.SouthBranchChicago.com), Sweet Water Tavern + Grille (www.SweetWaterTavernAndGrille.com).
2. Sustain Your Support. We’re especially grateful for our Sustaining Members/Donors, who make automatic monthly or quarterly donations and have a huge impact for Clean Water. If you’re already doing this, thank you! If you haven’t signed up yet, January is the perfect month to get started with a "Sustainer Gift" to Clean Water Action or Clean Water Fund.
1. Tell a Friend. You can help spread the word by sharing this blog post with friends and family or by starting a fundraiser for Clean Water Fund on Facebook. Help us grow the Clean Water Movement!
Whatever way(s) you choose to support Clean Water Action and Clean Water Fund in 2023 and beyond, know that we are deeply grateful for all you do to help protect clean water and advance our vision of clean water that is fishable, swimmable and drinkable, for all people and communities.
*Gifts to Clean Water Fund, a 501-c-3 nonprofit (tax ID 52-1043444) are tax deductible to the extent allowed by law. Gifts to Clean Water Action (a 501-c-4 nonprofit) support our grassroots campaigns to strengthen and defend clean water protections and are not tax-deductible.